Monday, January 14, 2013

Gumbo recipe

Linda and I love to cook and I love to eat! Before we found our current Mardi Gras we would host a annual Mardi Gras party at our home in St Louis.  I had gotten a gumbo recipe by email from  a Mike Anderson who had a cooking show on a local radio program. He had developed his recipe over many years of trial and error. I have fairly well committed it to memory and I made a batch Saturday to be served with Dave's fish fry. Since a few people seemed to like it and asked for the recipe I will try to provide that now. (Linda's note: People RAVED about this gumbo, saying it was the best they ever had!)

Here is how I made the gumbo for the fish fry.

Stock.
On Thursday I carved the meat from a whole roasted chicken and simmered the bones and residual meat in 6 quarts of water for about 4 hours. After cooling I set it in the cooler till Saturday morning when I strained out the bones and gristle. Reheat in a large stock pot. I had to borrow one from Dawn at Bonita Bills.
Roux prepared in a heavy frying pan  It is better known as Cajun napalm and you will find out why if your fire is too high.
Dice and brown a package of andouille sausage and whatever left over chicken you may have liberally seasoned with cajun seasoning. We have a couple different brands. I especially like "Slap Ya Mama" by Walker and Sons but any one will do. There is salt in it so season until the salt taste is right.

Remove the meat from the pan and add enough oil to the remains so that you have a total of about a 1/4 cup. Add flour until you have a peanut butter consistency, about a 1/4 cup. Set your heat to medium high and with a spatula continue to cook the roux until it starts to turn brown. this is a slow process and takes constant attention so you will want to have filled your wine glass before you start. Unless of course you have the bottle next to the stove for refilling one handed. Figure on this step to take from 15 to 45 minutes. If you get it too hot and scorch it, throw it out and start over.

 The Trinity;
An essential part of Cajun cooking takes it name from the church. Onions, celery and peppers are in almost every dish I can think of. I use sweet onions and bell peppers. Sometimes I throw in hot peppers too. For this last dish I used a full bunch of celery, two fairly large onions and 4 peppers.
Have this chopped up before you prepare the roux and throw it into the skillet when the roux is done with a cup of the stock. This stops the roux cooking and starts the sautéing of the trilogy. Stir and turn over/ mix till they start to get tender then throw the whole mess into the stock pot along with the meat. Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer till a half hour before dinner time.

Make up an appropriate amount of good rice. My friend Jim here at the harbor and I agree that Jasmine rice is the best.
The finish:
Slice a cup or two of okra and dump it in with as many shrimp or crab legs or scallops as you can afford.
That's it. Jim, who lived in New Orleans for some time, says that there is no bad gumbo, just some are better than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment